Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday and the Not Unlucky Die Charm

I love bar drinking on weeknights. Drink specials and friendly lonely drunks all come out on work nights. Every weeknight is someone's service industry weekend. It provides both the freedom to be a quite isolated drunk and to politely interact with other misanthropists. But my freedom provided by my parents issues with organized religion becomes my curse once a year, when I inevitably and mistakenly wander out on Fat Tuesday.

It was one such accidental evening that I was given a gift. This wasn't a unique gift at any sort of first glance. It was one more string of plastic beads. But this particular strand caught my eye. It reflected the light at inconsistent angles in a way no string of round beads could. A strand of glittering cubes, each rotating independently reflects light in such unpredictable and attractive angles that no disco ball can compete with. Given the option of two by an overly friendly bartender, I picked the seemingly random glittering string of silver cubes over the boring standard necklace of linked green spheres.

The necklace was a string of dice all numbered two to five. The string holding the necklace together ran through every die's one and six side. My D&D knowledge saw it as an “okay luck charm.” It was neither capable of a critical success nor a critical failure. All outcomes with this necklace would be neither miraculous nor catastrophic, and given my general pessimistic nature and my occasionally embarrassing superstitions, this seemed like a largely positive artifact.

No comments: